Sunday, March 11, 2012

Not Tonight Pillow

I saw something similar to this pillow online somewhere and unfortunately couldn't find it again. I wish I could credit the place I got the idea, but I seriously can't find it. As soon as Nettie got engaged, I HAD to make it. I think it's so funny.

I took crappy phone pictures of the process. Side not...I just realized my phone pictures are so crappy because my camera lens has a few cracks in it. It might be time for a new phone soon. Until then, here is the crappy picture step by step of the Not Tonight Pillow.


trace stencil (printed from word with a font i liked) onto freezer paper (i got mine from a co-worker but apparently it can be found by the wax paper at the grocery store) shiny side down.
cut out stenciled letters with an exacto knife
iron on stencil to the fabric. make sure it's a good seal so paint doesn't seap through.

paint. a few tutorials used different types of paint and mixed paint types. i used regular acrylic craft paint, and it worked fine. i did 3-4 coats to make sure it was dark/heavy enough to show up

after the paint dries, peel off the stencil.
cover with light material and iron over the words to seal
now it's time to sew. i'm not even going to pretend to know the best way to sew a pillow. these were my first pillows ever, and i'm sure i could use a few tips myself.
finished product

i made 2 pillows because i couldn't decide which one i liked better. the writing doesn't show up quite as well on this one, but i still love it.
co-worker michelle made one out of burlap this week, and it turned out so very cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment