Sunday, October 24, 2010

Chalkboard Coasters



I've been dying to make these chalkboard coaster for months. I think they turned out so cute. I found a tutorial online, but I can't remember where. I didn't take pictures along the way, but here's the step by step.

Supplies
*$0.16 tiles from Home Depot
*chalkboard paint (can find at Home Depot, craft stores, Wal-mart)
*acrylic paint in various colors
*sticky back felt
*diamond glaze or something else to seal the acrylic paint

1. The original tutorial said to sand the tiles first before painting them. I didn't do that, but it might be a good idea.
2. Paint tiles with chalkboard paint. It may take 2-3 coats. Make sure to let paint completely dry before next coat.
3. Paint design in corner of coaster.
4. Seal with diamond or other glaze. Only paint the design so the rest of the coaster is still a chalkboard.
5. Cut small squares of felt and put on back of tile so it doesn't scratch surfaces.

Wrap in cellophane with a piece of chalk. It's the perfect gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment